SoCal HIMSS Policy and Advocacy
The HIMSS Policy and Advocacy committee advocates Healthcare IT on behalf of its membership. Activities include educating HIMSS members and Members of Congress and their staff on key issues regarding legislation. The Southern California Chapter, HIMSS Chapter Advocacy Liaisons perform these actions, on behalf of its members, both at the State and National Level, throughout the year by the means of the following events.
- Attend Monthly Teleconference Calls
- Attend Chapter Advocacy Roundtable with National HIMSS
- Contribute Advocacy related articles to our Quarterly Newsletter
- Attendance at National Policy Summit
- Compile materials and resources for members around Public Policy and Advocacy
- Keep Chapter Board informed about advocacy efforts.
- Recruit Chapter volunteers and other leaders to join the Advocacy committee
The 2018/2019 Southern California Chapter Public Policy and Advocacy Committee:
- Sarah Richardson (SoCal Chair)
- Cecilia Ramos (NorCal Chair)
- Dr. Larry Ozeran (Committee Advisor)
- Ian Slade
- John Conklin
- Shanti Wilson
- Danica Ramos
- Christine Sublett
- Christopher Lee
- Sridhar Chadalavada
- Julie Castongia
- Reginald Tuyay
- Michael McAlpen
- Brian Malec
- John Petring
- Michelle Heimann
- Shivani Sharma
- Helena Rosenthal
- Evan Behm
Would you like to advance the HIMSS agenda by helping to educate legislators about what we do and what is important? The HIMSS Southern California Chapter, which is committed to advocacy has put together some short how-to videos containing basic information for members on how to participate in democracy and in our advocacy efforts. Have a look and let us know what you think. We welcome your involvement. To volunteer or to learn more, please email SoCalHIMSS.Advocacy@gmail.com.
Advocacy Resources and Links
- National HIMSS 2013-2014 Policy Principles
- National HIMSS Congressional Activities
- Food and Drug Administration Mobile Medical Applications Proposed Rules
- Advocacy Toolkit
- Find your representative
- Call for Action: 2015 MU Reporting Period & Flex IT Act (HR 5481), October 16, 2014
- Download the Federal Health It Strategic Plan 2015-2020 from the Office of the National Coordinator. Comments may be sent to:
Senior Director, Federal & State Affairs
HIMSS North America Jcoughlin@himss.org
HIMSS Advocacy: What we do and how YOU can help
HIMSS Advocacy members provide education, research and public policy recommendations that transform health.
We focus on healthcare public policies supported through the use of information and technology. As information and technology experts within the healthcare domain, members discuss impacts of IT on relevant legislation, laws and policies through legislative meetings and advocacy efforts.
HIMSS advocacy efforts span chapter, state and national levels. Advocacy members provide legislators and staff with content and context regarding pertinent issues. Our focus is to inform and become the subject matter resource for elected officials and staff who are transforming health for constituents.