The Southern California Chapter of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) is pleased to announce three scholarships for students enrolled in a full time degree program in a healthcare information and management-related discipline. Established and funded by the HIMSS Southern California Chapter, these scholarships will be awarded to HIMSS student members who exhibit academic excellence and future leadership potential in the healthcare information and management systems industry. Southern California student members are all encouraged to apply for the annual scholarships. The scholarship awards will be $4,000, $2,000, and $1,000 for first, second, and third place winners. Scholarship recipients will be awarded at a chapter event.
Applicants for the Southern California Chapter Scholarship must fulfill these minimum requirements:
- The applicant must be a member in good standing of HIMSS
- The applicant must be a member of National HIMSS and the Southern California Chapter
- The applicant must be attending a school in the Southern California area
- The primary occupation of the applicant at the time the scholarship is awarded must be that of student in an accredited undergraduate, Masters or PhD program related to the healthcare information management systems field. The specific degree program is not a critical factor, although it is expected that programs similar to those in industrial engineering, operations research, healthcare informatics, computer science and information systems, mathematics, and quantitative programs in business administration and hospital administration will predominate.
- Undergraduate applicants must be at least a first-term junior when the scholarship is awarded.
- Previous Foundation Scholarship winners are ineligible.
Scholarship Applicants will be reviewed based on the following categories and sub-criteria. Please include all relevant accomplishments in your application.
► School Related/Academic Activities
► Extracurricular & Community Service Activities
► Professional Society Involvement (excluding HIMSS)
► Academic Record
► Supplementary Education
► Presentations & Publications
► Personal Statement
► Years Participating
► Extent of Participation
► Leadership Roles
When you Apply:
Please complete the HIMSS Southern California Chapter Student Scholarship Application Form. During the course of completing the application, you will be asked to submit the following:
- Personal Statement
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Educational Data
- Professional Achievement and Academic Society Activity
- Leadership/Community Involvement
- HIMSS Involvement
- Technical Paper or Essay
- Official Transcript(s)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. Letters of Recommendation should include the applicants Name, Institution Name and Name of Scholarship for which you are applying. Letters of recommendation must contain author's full contact information.
Please click here for the SoCal HIMSS Student Scholarship Application Form.
***This year's scholarship application deadline is March 30, 2020, 11:59 pm***
For questions or additional information, please email the SoCal HIMSS Scholarship Committee at SoCalHIMSS.AcadAlliance@gmail.com.