Spring 2017 Newsletter ♦ HIMSS Faculty Spotlight
Barrington (Barry) Hunt, MPA
Faculty, Graduate Healthcare Management Program
Management, Accounting and Public Health Departments
College of Business and Economics
California State University, Los Angeles
Since the day CIO James (Jim) Brady stepped into Professor Barry Hunt’s class in February 2011, the partnership between CSULA and SoCal HIMSS continues to evolve. The Academic Alliance Community Chair, Thao Tran, has requested Professor Hunt to be a featured spotlight in the current edition of SoCal HIMSS newsletter. SoCal HIMSS have enjoyed schools requesting us to present to their students. Read about Professor Hunt’s contribution to healthcare management and his ongoing support of HIMSS’ presence in his classroom.
Professor Barry Hunt teaches Health Care Finance and Management classes in the Departments of Management, Accounting, Public Health, and Nursing Administration at California State University, Los Angeles. Previously he taught all aspects of health care administration, management, finance, planning, communication, systems, and community health agencies at California State University, Dominguez Hills since 1980. Several of his former students at CSULA and CSUDH have been hired and promoted into senior leadership, management and clinician positions in health care, social services and educational institutions (both public and private) nationwide.
Professor Hunt has had an extensive full-time career in health care management throughout the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS), Department of Public Health (DPH), and previously, the LA County Chief Administrative Office (CAO). During this time he has served as Administrator, Associate Administrator, Assistant Hospital Administrator, Chief Financial Officer, Senior Manager, Strategic Planner, Area Administrator and/or Acting Administrator for the following networks of County DHS facilities:
• Hospitals: LAC+USC Medical Center Women's Hospital, Psychiatric Hospital, Pediatric Pavilion Hospital, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Long Beach General Hospital, Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) and Alcohol Rehabilitation Facility
• Los Angeles County+USC Medical Center
• Comprehensive / Ambulatory Health Centers (HCs) : Long Beach Comprehensive Health Center and seven associated Community Health Centers (Harbor/San Pedro HC, Torrance HC, Wilmington HC, Bellflower HC, Norwalk HC, Hawaiian Gardens HC)
• Public Health Centers (HCs): Curtis Tucker HC in Inglewood, Ruth Temple HC in South Central LA, South HC in Watts, Torrance HC, Central HC, Glendale HC, Hollywood/Wilshire HC, Monrovia HC, North Hollywood HC, Pacoima HC, Pomona HC, Antelope Valley HC in Lancaster, Whittier HC, and Simms/Mann/Yvonne Burke HC in Santa Monica
• Community Health Services: Area Administrator, Administrative coordination / logistics for 8 Service Planning Areas, 14 public health centers, dental, radiology and pharmacy, DHS, DPH
• Mental Health Centers: 10 Mental Health Centers in the former Coastal Region, (Southwest quadrant of Los Angeles County), DHS
• DHS/DPH Health Strategic Planning: Assistant Director, DHS Strategic Planning Office.
Although retired from Los Angeles County Department of Health Services / Public Health (DHS/DPH) Administration, Professor Hunt has remained actively involved with DHS/DPH by: 1) continuing as a volunteer consultant assisting/training my successors; 2) writing monthly articles for the DHS/DPH/DMH Managers Newsletter, their peer-reviewed journal; and 3) active involvement with the American Council of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), Healthcare Executives of Southern California (HCESC), University Health System Consortium (UHC), and other professional organizations.