Winter 20152014 Member Survey Results
By Karen Keating, PMP, CPHIMS, Co-Chair, HIMSS SoCal Marketing and Social Media
The results are in! We’re pleased to report the findings of the 2014 Member Survey, conducted in November 2014. There were 122 responses, representing a 6% response rate overall - Excellent!
Thank you for sharing your opinion! Your valuable feedback will help HIMSS So Cal develop programs and events that reflect your interests. Your input will also be used to guide the 2015 strategic plan.
May I have a drum roll please... The three lucky respondents who won VISA Gift cards are:
- Jane Hanneken
- Angelica Estrin
- Fred Diluzion
And without further ado, here’s what your colleagues had to say about our Chapter activities.
Events – 54 percent (n=66) have attended a HIMSS So Cal event. The top events were the CIO Forum (45%); the HIT Conference (42%); the Clinical Informatics Summit (32%); and the HFMA/HIMSS Joint Networking Event (18%).
When it comes to attending events, Quarterly events are preferred (55%), followed by twice a year (25%) or monthly (11%). The preferred Type of Event was a Half Day Conference (55%); or Webinar (54%); followed by a Full Day Conference (47%); a Social Mixer / Networking Event (43%); a Lunch Meeting with Presentation (34%); a Dinner (25%) or Breakfast meeting (22%).
Newsletter – 85 percent (n=104) read the Quarterly Newsletter. Those who didn’t weren’t familiar with how it’s distributed. Respondents ranked the top three most useful sections as 1) Monthly Feature Article on Industry Trends (81%); 2) Upcoming Events (67%); 3) Advocacy Committee Update (26%); 4) Members in Action (23%); and a tie for the President's Update and CxO Corner (22%).
Website – 75 percent (n=91) visit the HIMSS So Cal Website. The (3) most useful sections of the website were ranked as: the Calendar of Events (80%); Newsletters & Presentations (37% each); Education (34%); Career Opportunities (29%); About So Cal HIMSS (24%); What’s New at HIMSS (21%).
Social Media – The preferred Social Media channels are 1) LinkedIn (92%); Facebook (64%); Twitter (40%) and Instagram (17%). This tells us how to connect with you!
Topics of Interest– Respondents ranked the top 5 most interesting topics:
- Clinical Informatics (46%);
- Data Analytics / Business Intelligence (43%);
- Apps on Mobile Devices / BYO Device / Device Management (43%)
- Electronic / Personal Health Records (36%);
- Population Health / Management (35%);
- ACA, ACOs, Meaningful Use, Regulatory (33%);
- Strategic IT Planning (31%);
- Patient Engagement, Portals, Social Media (29%);
- Innovation (26%)
- Tie between Interoperability and Privacy & Security (24%)
- Health Information Exchange (21%)
- Care Coordination, Patient Safety, Workflow (20%);
- Quality Improvement (18%)
Who responded - Respondents were 49% Male and 42% Female. By age, respondents are overwhelmingly middle age (67% over age 45). They are 45-54 years old (34%); 55-64 (33%); 25-34% (16%) and 35-44 (12%).
Their Professional Role is:
- Consulting (23%)
- Clinical Informatics (21%)
- Director / Manager (19%)
- C-Suite / Sr. Leadership or Vendor (15% each)
- Analyst, HIT, Project Manager (14%)
- Academic (12%)
- Health Info Management and Marketing/Sales (9% each)
Again, thanks to everyone who responded and a special thanks to the Survey Team!